So, I’ve pulled the trigger.
After a goodly bit of deliberating, talking to my readers, some hand-wringing and objective analysis, I’ve decided to change BOOK 2 of the American Rebirth Series.
The changes are as follows:
- New Title: LEGENDS
- New Cover
- Added Content: Prologue – Survivors
It wasn’t easy deciding to make these changes, but they are decidedly the right ones, in my mind.
Truth is, I’m still learning as an author/publisher. As much as I loved WHISKEY as a title and the cover, I don’t think it was doing my story due service.
Truth #2, it’s not sexy to think about, but things like Cover, Title and Blurb are just marketing tools. They are the 9mm, salted meat and purified water to the wasteland survivor that is my series. The story itself, that’s the heart of the survivor. That’s where the good stuff is.
So, my job is to make those things as effective as I can. Here’s why I made the changes I made:
- WHISKEY is a title I love, and a character close to my heart. But the story is about much, much more than just Whiskey. If someone who reads HOOD loves Whiskey, they’ll read book 2. If they are lukewarm or worse about him as a character, they certainly won’t buy a book that seems like it’s all about him.
- When thinking about the big picture in terms of the title of Book 3 and beyond, I want to have more inter-connectivity between my titles. Choosing only character names hems me in a goodly bit. It can also confuse the shit out of prospective readers who haven’t read any of them.
- BOOK 2 is a story that truly continues the Legends of HOOD. The cover and title then need to convey that this book truly is a spiritual successor to Book 1, and not a giant left turn that follows a different character from now on.
- Making thematic-color commonalities between books seems to be a pretty good way of making sure readers recognize your sequels when they see them. Hence the color change on the Cover.
So that’s it.
I really appreciate the feedback from everyone who I talked to. To those who loved WHISKEY as a title and cover, I hope what I’ve said above makes sense as to why I changed it. I really appreciate everyone’s support.
So if you have an old copy of WHISKEY, well, now you have a vintage/collector’s item. 😀 LUCKY YOU!
Happy holidays everyone,
Hey let’s go to switzerland Fuck this world Switzerland Yeah I’m down for switzerland Fuck this world Switzerland The Swiss will be sweet the beats will be fresh The meats, the besh, let’s go have a sesh on a fjord we’ll never be bored in Switzerland
via Alright — Consciousness creates reality
I dig it. Switzerland is awesome 😀
As I am in the process of outlining & writing Book 3, I’ve been reflecting a bit on what I’ve done so far. As I hope to wrap up this three-book arc (more novels in the series sure to come thereafter, but I want Books 1-3 to come to a satisfying completion) I’ve been thinking a lot about what I’ve done well and what I can improve on.
I’ve done plenty of self-reflection on the matter. Some things are clear, others are not. That’s where you all come in.
I’d really love feedback from you–the reader. So I’ve tossed a few questions together. As some of you may know I’ve been mulling over a title/cover change for Book 2… So in the spirit of feedback:
Feel free to answer in the comments, or email me at EvanPickering@EvanPickeringAuthor.com
- What do you think of the cover of WHISKEY, Book 2? Does it or doesn’t it make you interested in reading the book?
- What do you think of the title of WHISKEY, Book 2? If you had to choose between WHISKEY or LEGENDS as the title, which do you think would be more appealing?
- What was your favorite thing about the Book(s)? This could be as simple as a character dynamic, or a scene, or facet of the world, etc. No wrong answer.
- What was your least favorite thing about the Book(s)? Again, no wrong answer. Don’t worry about my feelings (lol) I want feedback!
- Any comments/questions feel free to speak up. It can be regarding the above or anything else.
This is your chance to pick my brain, help me out and ask me some questions!
I’m hard at work at Book 3. Life has been crazy but I’m making headway. I’m hoping to get it done much faster than the 9 months it took to get Book 2 done. With two books under my belt hopefully I’m getting better (and faster) at this!
Hope you all are enjoying your holidays.
So I’m considering changing the title and cover for WHISKEY.
Truth be told, I like the cover and the title as it is… but I’m concerned it isn’t “connected” enough to HOOD so that the casual observer who sees it will recognize that it’s the sequel.
Maybe I’m overthinking things. But I’ve been toying around with covers to satisfy my meandering mind. Arguably, I’m not a digital design artist so my skills are pretty damn limited…
But I need some input from you, the reader/casual observer. Please let me know your thoughts on this matter…
Here’s the original cover:
And here’s the new one I’ve been playing with:
So, what do you think? Do you prefer the old one or the new one? Perhaps a mix of both? What do you think of the potential title change? Or the change of coloration to be more like HOOD?
Truth be told, things like title, cover art… these are just marketing tools. And I want BOOK 2 to feel as much like a spiritual successor to HOOD as possible.